Haywards Heath station on Sunday morning June 6th 1999.
Haywards Heath is an important stop on the London-Brighton mainline. The first station was built here by the London & Brighton railway in 1841. It was here, in February 1858 that the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway (1846) detached the first ever passenger cars from a non stop express (slip coaches).
This station building dates from the Southern Railway's 1932 750 V dc 3rd rail electrification project. Slip coaches were discontinued on the Southern with the arrival of the EMUs.
This is the closest mainline station for the Bluebell Railway.