© Michael Taylor
Sunday morning June 24th, 2001.
Pienza as seen from the minor road from Casabianca looking north to the Duomo and town on the hill. The town was originally called Corsignano and was the birthplace in 1405 of Enea Silvio Piccolomini who became Pope Pius II. On a visit in 1458 he was struck by the degradation and abandonment of his birthplace and decided to renew the village and endow it with a church fit for a Pope and a papal palace. The building of this renaissance centre took place over 4 years between 1459 and 1462 and was renamed PIENZA on August 29th, 1462. Unfortunately Pope Pius II died in Ancona in 1464.
In December 1996, Pienza became a member of UNESCO's Global Heritage.