|Butchart Gardens was started in 1904 by Mr. & Mrs. Robert
Butchart in the worked out quarry used by the cement company for which Mr.
Butchart was the General Manager. The gardens cover 55 acres and attract
over 1 million visitors per year.
Quarry Lake is located in the Sunken Gardens in a deep pocket of the limestone quarry. Plants and trees surround it and make a very tranquil setting and the visitors seem to melt into the bckground.