|Butchart Gardens was started in 1904 by Mr. & Mrs. Robert
Butchart in the worked out quarry used by the cement company for which Mr.
Butchart was the General Manager. The gardens cover 55 acres and attract
over 1 million visitors per year.
The gardens were started in the sunken garden which is about 50 feet below the surrounding look-out. The sides are hung with ivy and Virginia Creeper.