|Sunday afternoon on EU expansion weekend, May 2nd, 2004,
the bridge was closed to vehicle traffic. This provided pedestrian access
and viewing ramps were installed in the centre of the span to allow vistas
to be seen and photographed that would not normally be available.
The Chain Bridge (Széchenyi lánchíd) was built by Scotsman Adam Clark, who is commemorated by the roundabout at the Buda end of the bridge, between 1839 & 1849. It was the first bridge to join the cities of Buda (west side of the Danube) and Pest. The driving force to build the bridge was Count István Széchenyi. The bridge was destroyed during WWII but reconstructed to the original design. The large building on the left is Buda Castle.