© Michael Taylor
Bassano del Grappa is located on the Brenta River near Mt. Grappa, site of heavy fighting in World War 1 between Nov 1917 and October 1918 against the army of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. The town is famous for Grappa Liquor, a strong brandy distilled from "pomace." Pomace is the pulpy mash of grapes: the skin, seeds and fiber left behind in wine production.
Bassano's icon is the famous bridge. The first recorded mention of a bridge here is in 1209 by Gerardo Maurisio. Over the years the bridge was destroyed by floods or wars and this version was originally constructed in 1569 to designs of Palladio. It was also destroyed in 1748 and rebuilt in 1751 to the same design. The most recent rebuilding was by the Alpine (Alpini) Regiment of the Italian Army after it was bombed during World War II, thus giving it the alternate name of "Ponte dei Alpini".